Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the Scheme
Mains level: Prevention of drug abuse
Assistance for Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drug) Abuse
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment implements this Central Sector Scheme for identification, counseling, treatment and rehabilitation of addicts through voluntary and other eligible organizations.
- Under this Scheme, financial assistance is provided to NGOs/Voluntary organizations and other eligible agencies for setting-up/running Integrated Rehabilitation Centre for Addicts (IRCAs).
- As per the norms of the scheme following organizations/institutions shall be eligible for assistance under the Scheme of Assistance for Prevention of Alcoholism and Substance (Drug) Abuse:
- A Society registered under the Societies’ Registration Act, 1860 (XXI of 1860) or any relevant Act of the State Governments/ Union Territory Administrations or under any State law relating to the registration of Literary, Scientific and Charitable societies, or
- Registered Societies formed by the State Governments.
- District Hospitals subject to condition that they maintain separate accounts for de-addiction.
- Railway Hospitals near major Railway Stations subject to condition that they maintain separate accounts for de-addiction.
- A Public Trust registered under any law for the time being in force, or
- A Company established under Section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956; or
- Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs), Urban Local Bodies (ULBs), organizations/institutions fully funded or managed by State/ Central Government or a local body; or
- Universities, Schools of Social Work, other reputed educational institutions, NYKS, and such other well established organizations/ institutions which may be approved by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- The proposals of above eligible organizations are forwarded by the State Governments.
- However, the proposals of NGOs for release of grant in aid are considered in the Ministry only after it is inspected and recommended by the State Government.