From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Shillong Declaration
Mains level : Key highlights of the declaration
About the Shillong Declaration
- The ‘Shillong Declaration’ on e-Governance was recently adopted.
- The declaration has outlined the future trajectory that would be taken in terms of e-governance with a focus on improving connectivity in Northeast.
The Conference resolved that Government of India and State Governments shall collaborate to:
- The central government and state governments would collaborate to improve the citizens’ experience with government services.
- In order to do so, they would promote the timely implementation of India Enterprise Architecture (IndEA).
- They would also implement a single sign-on for interoperability and integration among e-Government applications throughout the country.
- It also resolved to consolidate the plethora of successful state-level e-Governance projects and domain-based projects with a focus to replicate them as common application software with configurable features.
- The declaration also stressed the need to ensure improvement in ease of living and ease of doing business by making a big shift in the role of government from Service Provider to Service Enabler.
- It also stressed on the need to take steps to further improve connectivity in the Northeast.
- Issues and challenges of telecommunication connectivity at the grassroots and formulate and implement a comprehensive telecom development plan were also addressed in the declaration.
- It was also resolved to improve the quality of delivery of e-Services in the Northeast to fulfil the vision of improved citizen experience.
- It was also resolved to develop India as a global cloud hub and facilitate the development of Government applications and databases on Cloud by default.
- To adopt emerging technologies for finding e-Governance solutions and to promote the Digital India Projects with focus on Smart Cities and Smart Villages through Startups and Smart Entrepreneurship were also resolved in the declaration.