From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Shodh Shuddhi
Mains level : Promoting skillful research in India
- The union Ministry of HRD has launched the Plagiarism Detention Software (PDS) “Shodh Shuddhi”.
- This service is being implemented by Information and Library Network (INFLIBNET), an Inter University Centre (IUC) of UGC.
- PDS will significantly help to improve the quality of research outcome by ensuring the originality of ideas and publication of the research scholars.
- Initially, about 1000 Universities/ Institutions (Central Universities; Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTIs); State Public Universities; Deemed Universities; Private Universities; Inter University Centre (IUCs) & Institutes of National Importance are being provided with this service.
What is Plagiarism?
- Plagiarism is the “wrongful appropriation” and “stealing and publication” of another author’s “language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions” and the representation of them as one’s own original work.
- Plagiarism is considered academic dishonesty and a breach of journalistic ethics.