From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Special Expenditure Observers
Mains level : Ensuring transparency in Electoral processes
- ECI has recently appointed two Special Expenditure Observers for the upcoming Maharashtra Assembly elections.
Special Expenditure Observers
- The Special Expenditure Observers are appointed in the exercise of the powers conferred on ECI under Article 324 of the Constitution and the Representation of the People Act, 1951.
- The SEO would be required to watch the conduct of Elections with special emphasis on controlling the abuse of money power, in consultation with the Chief Electoral Officer.
- The SEO will be supervising and monitoring the work being done by the electoral machinery and ensure that stringent and effective enforcement action is undertaken.
- Their actions would be based on intelligence inputs and complaints received through C-VIGIL, Voter Helpline 1950 against all persons/entities trying to induce voters by distributing cash, liquor & freebies etc. in order to vitiate the poll process.