From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the app, Bachpan Bachao Andolan
Mains level: Not Much
Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation launched a mobile application called ReUnite which helps to track and trace missing and abandoned children in India.
Developers: NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan and Capgemini Inc.
Working of the app
- The app is multi-user where parents and citizens can upload pictures of children, and provide detailed description like name, birth mark, address, report to the police station, search and identify missing kids.
- The photographs will not be saved in the mobile phone’s physical memory.
- “Amazon Rekognition”, a web facial recognition service, is being used to identify missing kids.
- The app is available for both Android and iOS.
About Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA)
- BBA is India’s largest movement for the protection of children and works along with law enforcement agencies and policymakers.
- Kailash Satyarthi, Nobel Laureate is the founder of this NGO.
- BBA has played a very important role in the formulation of several laws for the protection of child’s rights.
- It began from the Nithari case in 2006 which finally culminated with the Supreme Court passing the landmark judgment in 2013 ordering that FIR has to be lodged in all cases of missing children.