From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : UMMID Initiative
Mains level : Prevention of genetic diseases
- UMMID stands for Unique Methods of Management and treatment of Inherited Disorders.
- DBT has started the UMMID Initiative which is designed on the concept of ‘Prevention is better than Cure’.
- Taking into account the congenital and hereditary genetic diseases are becoming a significant health burden in India, and realizing the need for adequate and effective genetic testing and counselling services.
- The UMMID initiative aims
- to establish NIDAN Kendras to provide counselling, prenatal testing and diagnosis, management, and multidisciplinary care in Government Hospitals wherein the influx of patients is more,
- to produce skilled clinicians in Human Genetics, and
- to undertake screening of pregnant women and new born babies for inherited genetic diseases in hospitals at aspirational districts.
Why such initiative?
- In India’s urban areas, congenital malformations and genetic disorders are the third most common cause of mortality in newborns.
- With a very large population and high birth rate, and consanguineous marriage favored in many communities, prevalence of genetic disorders is high in India.
NIDAN (National Inherited Diseases Administration) Kendras
- As a part of this initiative, in the first phase, five NIDAN Kendras have been established to provide comprehensive clinical care.
- Screening of 10,000 pregnant women and 5000 new born babies per year for inherited genetic diseases will be taken up at the following seven aspirational districts.