From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : CCN, Gastronomy
Mains level : Not Much
- UNESCO has designated Mumbai as a member of UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) in the field of FILM and Hyderabad in the field of GASTRONOMY.
- UCCN created in 2004, is a network of cities which are thriving, active centres of cultural activities in their respective countries.
- UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) was established in the year 2004.
- It creates a network of those cities that are active centres of various cultural practices in their respective countries.
- At present UCCN has 246 member cities including Mumbai and Hyderabad.
- These cities can be from all continents with different income levels or with different level of populations.
- UCCN believes that these cities are working towards a common mission and that is to placing creativity at the core of their urban development plans to make region resilient, safe, inclusive and sustainable.
- Ministry of Culture is the nodal Ministry of Government of India for all matters in UNESCO relating to culture.
Objective of UCCN
- They work together towards a common mission: placing creativity and the creative economy at the core of their urban development plans to make cities safe, resilient, inclusive and sustainable, in line with the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The 7 categories for recognition under UCCN are as follows-
- Crafts and Folk Arts
- Media Arts
Previously, 3 Indian cities were recognized as members of UCCN namely-
- Jaipur-Crafts and Folk Arts (2015)
- Varanasi-Creative city of Music (2015)
- Chennai-Creative city of Music(2017)
Note: Gastronomy is the study of the relationship between food and culture, the art of preparing and serving rich or delicate and appetizing food, the cooking styles of particular regions, and the science of good eating.