From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: UNWTO and its mandate
Mains level: Not Much
- The delegation Ministry of Tourism is attending the 109th session of United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) Executive Council in Manama, Bahrain.
Programme and Budget Committee of UNWTO
- India’s tourism minister chaired the ‘Programme and Budget Committee’ meeting of UNWTO.
- It highlighted the role of tourism in socio-economic development through job creation, enterprise and environment development and foreign exchange earnings.
- As the chair of the Committee, the Minister informed the session that for the first time, UNWTO had a surplus budget and most of the arrears due have been paid.
- India will be the chair of Programme and Budget Committee of UNWTO Executive Council till 2021.
- The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is the United Nations agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
- The UNWTO Executive Council represents the Organization’s governing body.
- Its task is to take all necessary measures in consultation with the Secretary-General, for implementation of its own decisions and recommendations of the Assembly and report thereupon to the Assembly.
- The Council meets at least twice a year.
- The council consists of 35 Full Members elected by the assembly in proportion of one member for every Five Full Members.
- The membership is in accordance with the Rules of Procedure laid down by the Assembly with a view to achieving fair and equitable geographical distribution.