From UPSC perspective, following things are important:
Prelims level: UNNATEE
Mains level: Not Much
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) has developed a national strategy document for accelerating energy efficiency in India.
- PwC India has assisted BEE in executing this assignment.
- The strategy document titled UNNATEE (Unlocking NATional Energy Efficiency potential) describes a plain framework and implementation strategy to establish a clear linkage between energy supply-demand scenarios and energy efficiency opportunities.
- The document offers a comprehensive roadmap to address India’s environmental and climate change mitigation action through energy efficiency measures.
- This exercise is first of its kind, clearly delineating the energy efficiency targets for the respective demand sectors upto the state levels.
- Developing India’s blueprint of effective energy efficiency strategy is a leap towards stimulating energy efficiency ecosystem and enabling reduction of the pressure on demand.
- The BEE is a statutory body under the Ministry of Power, Government of India.
- It assists in developing policies and strategies with the primary objective of reducing the energy intensity of the Indian economy.
- BEE coordinates with designated consumers, designated agencies, and other organizations to identify and utilize the existing resources and infrastructure, in performing the functions assigned to it under the Energy Conservation Act.