Mains Paper 2: Polity | Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: VAF
Mains level: Voter Awareness
Voter Awareness Forums
- Voter Awareness Forums will be set up in Ministries, Government Departments, Non-Government Departments and other Institutions to promote electoral awareness.
- Voter Awareness Forums are informal Forums for generating awareness around electoral process through activities like discussions, quizzes, competitions and other engaging activities.
- VAF is part of the Electoral Literacy Club programme of ECI.
Electoral Literacy Club
- Launched on the 8thNational Voters Day, 25th January 2018, the ELC programme envisages setting up of Electoral Literacy Club in every educational institution.
- The ECI also aims to set up Chunav Pathshala at every booth to cover those outside the formal education system.
- The ELCs and Chunav Pathshala activities are conducted by the Convener using a resource Guide where step by step instructions are given for conducting each activity.
- Separate Resource books have been developed for Class IX, X, XI and XII.
- A calendar of activities in a year has also be indicated. Total of 6-8 activities, with specific learning outcome, running into approximately 4 hours in all, have been identified for each class.