Mains Paper 3: Agriculture | Different types of irrigation & irrigation systems storage
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Water circuits
Mains level: Water management
- There is a need for river connectivity, construction of Barrages, Dams, Rubber dams and Bandhas, drip and piped irrigation in the country
- There is also a need for water circuits in the country on the lines of power circuits for better water conservation
- Availability of water is not the problem but we have to learn to manage and conserve it
Achieving water efficiency:
- To double the income of farmers by the year 2022 cannot be achieved without proper water management
- Enhancing drip and pipe irrigation will reduce wastage of water and will be cost effective for farmers
- River connectivity programme can reduce water crisis in critical areas like Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Telangana, and Maharashtra.
Why is this cause taking place?
- Declining level of groundwater in many parts of the country
- Per capita availability of water is also reducing
- A definite strategy has been prepared for conservation of water resources and cleaning Ganga