From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Winter-grade diesel
Mains level : NA
The launch of a special winter-grade diesel, developed by Indian Oil Corporation (Indian Oil), for the high-altitude regions of Ladakh was recently held.
- Motorists in high-altitude sectors like Ladakh, Kargil, Kaza and Keylong face the problem of freezing of diesel in their vehicles when winter temperatures drop to as low as -30o
- Indian Oil has come up with an innovative solution to this problem by introducing a special winter-grade diesel with a low pour-point of -33o
- This fuel does not lose its fluidity function even in extreme winter conditions.
- This will help reduce the hardships faced by the local people for transportation and mobility during the harsh winter months.
- It will further facilitate the local economy as well as tourism of the region.