Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development & management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: World Integrated Medicine Forum
Mains level: Functions of the forum
World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019
- Union Ministry for AYUSH will inaugurate the 2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019 on the ‘Regulation of Homeopathic Medical Products; Advancing global collaboration’.
- The organizers of the forum are the Central Council for Research in Homeopathy, under the Ministry of AYUSH.
- International drug regulators dealing with homeopathic/traditional medicines from various countries are expected to participate.
Aims and Objectives
- The regulation of homeopathic medicinal products is highly variable worldwide, ranging at a national level from highly advanced to none whatsoever.
- There is a tension between different regulatory needs: on the one hand there is a need for standardization, harmonization and reducing complexity;
- On the other hand there is need for a pluralistic regulatory system, which respects the specific characteristics of homeopathy as a holistic, patient-centred medical system.
- The forum will explore and illustrate the potential benefits and pitfalls of bi-lateral/multilateral collaboration and advance global cooperation on a synergistic basis.