Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development & management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Youth Road Safety Learners License programme
Mains level: Measures to curb fatalities of Road Accidents in India
Youth Road Safety Learners License Programme
- Minister of State for Road Transport and Highways has launched the YRSL programme in New Delhi.
- The programme is a PPP initiative to be run in collaboration with Diageo India and the Institute of Road Traffic Education (IRTE).
- Rash driving, drunken driving, lack of adequate safety measures like not wearing helmets are some of the major factors resulting in high road accidents.
- It attempts to bring a formal and structured training program for young, first-time drivers as they apply for learner’s license.
Road Accident Fatalities in India
- India accounts for 12.5 per cent (over 1.45 lakh fatalities a year) of global road accidents, with one road accident occurring every four minutes.
- Alarmingly, 72 per cent victims involved in such road mishaps are between the age groups of 15-44 years with speeding, reckless.
- Drunk driving is the top reason accounting for 5 per cent of road traffic accidents and 4.6 per cent of fatalities.