Mains Paper 2: Governance | Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre & States & the performance of these schemes
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: SAUBHAGYA scheme
Mains level: Electricity for all target of government
- The Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana (SAUBHAGYA) was launched in Manipur
- The Government would come to people’s doorstep to provide power connection to every household.
- This is such a scheme where the poorest of the poor can afford electricity in their homes. The Minister promised that people would get 24×7 power supply by March, 2019.
- For achieving this target, the Government has already given obligation to private companies to provide 24×7 power supply to every household
- The Saubhagya Scheme would transform the lives, especially poorest of the poor by providing power supply to every household of the country.
- Saubhagya is a scheme launched to achieve universal household electrification in all parts of the Country at a cost of Rs. 16,320 crore including Gross Budgetary Support (GBS) of Rs. 12,320 crores from Government of India.
- Keeping in view the role of electricity in human and socio-economic development, Government of India has formulated the scheme to ensure last mile connectivity and electricity connections to all remaining un-electrified urban and rural households in the country.
- All States and Union Territories of the country are required to complete household electrification in their respective jurisdiction by 31st March, 2019.