From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Plan Bee
Mains level : Elephant connservation efforts
- Plan Bee an amplifying system imitating the buzz of a swarm of honey bees to keep wild elephants away from railway tracks earned the Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) the best innovation award in Indian Railways for the 2018-19 fiscal.
- A device was designed to generate the amplified sound of honey bees audible from 700-800 metres.
- The first instrument was installed at a level crossing west of Guwahati on a track adjoining the Rani Reserve Forest, an elephant habitat.
- The Plan Bee device has been helpful in diverting herds of elephants, especially when trains approach and dashing becomes imminent.
- A mix of Plan Bee and other measures have helped them save 1,014 elephants from 2014 to June 2019.
Why such plan?
- The desperation to find an “elephant repellent” was triggered by 67 jumbos being knocked down by trains from 2013 to June 2019.
- Most of these cases were reported from Assam and northern West Bengal.
- There are 29 earmarked elephant corridors with the operating zone of NFR spread across the north-eastern states and parts of Bihar and West Bengal.
- Trains are required to slow down at these corridors and adhere to speed specified on signs.
- But elephants have ventured into the path of trains even in non-corridor areas, often leading to accidents resulting in elephant deaths.