He addressed the Plenary Session of the National Conference on Sustainable Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, at Gangtok in Sikkim.
- The Prime Minister recalled CoP-21 meeting in Paris, where the idea of “back to basics” had been raised forcefully.
- He said Sikkim has already achieved that feat of living in harmony with nature, and is therefore a model of development which also protects nature.
- The Prime Minister complimented Sikkim for Gangtok being rated as the 10th cleanest city in a survey conducted by the Government of India.
- The Prime Minister exhorted States to identify a district, or even a block, to convert to a 100 percent organic area.
- The Prime Minister suggested that a digital online platform of progressive farmers should be developed in each State.