Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: CERT
Mains level: Strategically important step by government.
Direction to prevent leakage of data
- The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) has written to all 21 smartphone manufacturers operating in the country, including Chinese firms
- Why: To seek details of safety and security practices, architecture, frameworks, and standards put in place by manufacturers
- It is done to prevent leakage of data from handsets used by consumers
Objective of the exercise
- Through this exercise the government aims to scrutinise in hardware component as well as preloaded software and apps to find potential loopholes
Why this step?
- The step has implemented due to various cases of contacts and text messages being leaked in India as well as abroad
- According to government officals, further steps could be taken to contain the overall threat arising from “increasing Chinese business interest” in India
- The government is also undertaking a review of import of electronics and other IT products from China on account of fears about security and data leakages