Mains Paper 3: Agriculture | Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: PM-KISAN
Mains level: PM-KISAN and its mandate
- To provide an assured income support to the small and marginal farmers, the Government is launching the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN).
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi
- Under this programme, vulnerable landholding farmer families, having cultivable land upto 2 hectares, will be provided direct income support at the rate of Rs. 6,000 per year.
- This income support will be transferred directly into the bank accounts of beneficiary farmers, in three equal installments of Rs. 2,000 each.
- This programme will be funded by Government of India.
- Around 12 crore small and marginal farmer families are expected to benefit from this.
- The programme would be made effective from 1st December 2018 and the first installment for the period upto 31st March 2019 would be paid during this year itself.
- It will entail an annual expenditure of Rs.75, 000 crore.
- It would not only provide assured supplemental income to the most vulnerable farmer families, but would also meet their emergent needs especially before the harvest season.
- It would pave the way for the farmers to earn and live a respectable living.