From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Prithvi Missiles
Mains level : Integrated Guided Missile Development Program
India successfully conducted another night trial of its indigenously developed nuclear-capable Prithvi-2 missile as part of a user trial for the armed forces..
- Prithvi-2 is capable of carrying 500-1,000 kilograms of warheads and is powered by liquid propulsion twin engines.
- It has a strike range of 350 kilometres.
- It uses an advanced inertial guidance system with manoeuvering trajectory to hit its target.
- Prithvi is a tactical surface-to-surface short-range ballistic missile developed by DRDO of India under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program.
- Prithvi was the first missile to be developed under the program. DRDO attempted to build a surface-to-air missile under Project Devil.
- It is deployed by India’s Strategic Forces Command.
- The Prithvi missile project encompassed developing three variants for use by the Indian Army, Indian Air Force and the Indian Navy:
- Prithvi I (SS-150) – Army version (150 km (93 mi) range with a payload of 1,000 kg (2,200 lb))
- Prithvi II (SS-250) – Air Force version (350 km (220 mi) range with a payload of 500 kg (1,100 lb))
- Prithvi III (SS-350) – Naval version (350 km (220 mi) range with a payload of 1,000 kg (2,200 lb))