Ministry of Water Resources proposed to extend the programme for 2 more years
- The Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation initiated Jal Kranti Abhiyan during 2015-16
- For creating awareness on aspects of water security and water conservation.
- The Abhiyan was inaugurated by Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation in Rajasthan in June 2015.
- Under Jal Kranti Abhiyan, 2 villages, preferably facing acute water scarcity are being selected as “Jal Grams”.
- An integrated water security plan, water conservation and allied activities are being planned by Panchayat level committee to ensure optimum and sustainable utilization of water.
- Totally 1348 villages have to be identified in 674 districts, out of which 1001 have been selected as Jal Grams.