Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Achievement of Indians in science & technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: CMB
Mains level: CMB-Bharat will be path breaking project along with various ongoing projects such as LIGO etc.
- CMB stands for Cosmic Microwave Background, and the scientific space project CMB-Bharat has been presented as a proposal to ISRO and is under consideration.
- In the workshop, project CMB-Bharat, which could help us listen to the faintest murmurs of the early universe, was discussed.
- CMB-Bharat is a proposal for comprehensive next generation Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) mission in international collaboration with major Indian contribution.
- This referred to quantum gravitational waves, which are different from what LIGO detectors had observed that were classical in nature.
What CMB actually means?
- The cosmic microwave background (CMB) is thought to be leftover radiation from the Big Bang, or the time when the universe began.
- As the theory goes, when the universe was born it underwent a rapid inflation and expansion.
- The universe is still expanding today, and the expansion rate appears different depending on where you look.
- The CMB represents the heat left over from the Big Bang.
- We can’t see the CMB with your naked eye, but it is everywhere in the universe.
- It is invisible to humans because it is so cold, just 2.725 degrees above absolute zero (minus 459.67 degrees Fahrenheit, or minus 273.15 degrees Celsius.)
- This means its radiation is most visible in the microwave part of the electromagnetic spectrum.
- CMB-Bharat mission presents an unique opportunity for India to take the lead on prized quests in fundamental science in a field that has proved to be a spectacular success.
- However there are no active proposals for a comprehensive next generation CMB space mission at this time.