Mains Paper 3: Economy | Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Project ReWeave
Mains level: The importance of textiles and apparels industry and issues related to it.
- Microsoft India Saturday announced the launch of a new e-commerce platform here for handloom weavers under its Project ReWeave, as part of its philanthropic initiative.
- It is e-commerce platform that would help connect artisans to the buyers directly enabling them to expand to newer customers and markets.
- It hosts signature collections created by the weaver communities, showcase traditional designs and products created from natural dyes.
- It would help sell to a broad set of customers, support weavers in increasing their income and earning a sustainable livelihood while also reviving traditional forgotten Indian art.
- Microsoft, in association with the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), has also curated a special curriculum in ‘CAD and Colour for Handloom Weaving’ to provide digital training in handloom design.
Benefits of such initiatives
- With the introduction of our new e-commerce platform, digital empowerment centres and the new design curriculum, the weavers will be able to build on the rich handloom heritage of India and also reach out to a wider customer base.
- These initiatives like e-commerce marketplace and design training would ensure weaver communities sustain themselves and provide livelihood to artisans.
- This also is a practical solution to motivate younger generation of weavers to continue with their traditions and not divert into other professions.