From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Project Zero
Mains level : Regulating e-commerce in India
E-com giant Amazon has announced to bring “Project Zero” to India.
- “Project Zero” introduces additional proactive mechanisms and powerful tools to identify, block and remove counterfeits goods on Amazon website.
- It aims to ensure that customers receive authentic goods when shopping on Amazon.
- Over 7,000 brands have already enrolled in Project Zero across US, Europe and Japan.
- A number of Indian brands participated in a pilot to help the company test the experience in India.
- It combines Amazon’s advanced technology and innovation with the sophisticated knowledge that brands have of their own intellectual property and how best to detect counterfeits of their products.
- It does so through three powerful tools: Automated protections, self-service counterfeit removal tool and product serialization.
- Product serialization is enabled by a unique code that brands apply within their manufacturing and packaging process.
- It allows Amazon to individually scan and confirm the authenticity of every single purchase of a brand’s enrolled products through Amazon’s marketplace.