From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : RAAH app
Mains level : Mental health and associated issues in India
- NIMHANS has compiled a one-stop source online mental health care directory “RAAH”.
- The National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences (NIMHANS) has come out with a NIMHANS RAAH app, a mobile application that can be downloaded on Android and iOS platforms.
- It provides free information to the public on mental health care professionals and mental healthcare centres.
- The directory can be accessed on http://raah.nimhans.ac.in
How does it work?
- Mental health professionals and organisations can register and update their information in the directory live for no cost.
- The online directory and mobile app allows people to search for information about professionals such as psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatric social workers, special educators and occupational therapists working with government, NGOs, clinics, hospitals, and rehabilitation centres.
- The main features of the directory are that people can filter the information according to their search requirements.
- A user will get two kinds of views in the directory — map and list view — where they can get all the information about the organisation and professionals such as timings, fees details, available services, and years of experience.
- The National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences is a premier medical institution located in Bengaluru, India.
- NIMHANS is the apex centre for mental health and neuroscience education in the country, the institute operates autonomously under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.