Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not Much
Mains level: Ensuring security at Railway Stations
- Railways is planning to seal stations just like airports and passengers would have to arrive 15-20 minutes before scheduled departure of trains to complete the process of security checks.
New Security Plan by RPF
- These are part of a security plan under the Integrated Security System (ISS) which was approved in 2016 to strengthen surveillance mechanism at 202 railway stations.
- It is primarily about identifying openings and to determine how many can be closed.
- There are areas which will be closed through permanent boundary walls, others will be manned by RPF personnel and yet others will have collapsible gates.
- At each entry point there will be random security checks.
- However, unlike at airports, passengers need not come hours in advance, but just 15-20 minutes ahead of their departure times to ensure that they are not delayed because of the security process.
- Passengers will be checked randomly — every eighth or ninth passenger will undergo the process on his arrival at the station.
About Integrated Security System
- The ISS will comprise CCTV cameras, access control, personal and baggage screening system and bomb detection and disposal system which together provide multiple checking of passengers and baggage from the point of entry in the station premises till boarding of train.
- The security plan envisages a layered security check where passengers will be scrutinised even before they enter the station premises to ease the pressure at stations during peak hours.
- It will also include real-time face recognition software which will alert the RPF command centre of any known offenders.