Mains Paper 3 : Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways Etc. |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : RailWire, RailTel
Mains level : Internet connectivity across railway stations
- RailWire Wi-Fi by RailTel is now live at 1,600 railway stations across the country, with Santa Cruz railway station in Mumbai becoming the 1,600th station to become a RailWire Wi-Fi zone.
- RailWire is a retail broadband initiative of RailTel, which envisages extending broadband and application services to the public.
- RailTel is working to establish bringing fast and free Wi-Fi at all stations (except the halt stations) within a year.
- The Wi-Fi at 415 A, A1 and C category stations has been provided in association with Google as the technology partner.
- Wi-Fi connections at 200 stations were provided with support from the Universal Service Obligatory Fund of the Govt. of India.
- RailTel Corporation is a Mini Ratna(Category-I) PSU of Ministry of Railways.
- It is the largest neutral telecom services providers in the country owning a Pan-India optic fiber network covering all important towns & cities of the country and several rural areas covering 70% of India’s population.