Mains Paper 1: Geography | Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Cyclones, Anti-cyclones,Greenhouse gas emissions and pollutants.
Mains level: Global warming- Reasons, Impacts and way forward
- The rain fury that lashed Maharashtra, West Bengal, Bihar and Assam this monsoon, which displaced lives of lakhs of people, could be the new ‘normal’, according to a study.
- Scientists have recorded a three-fold rise in such erratic rainfall over central India
What are the reasons for the increase in rainfall?
- Rapid warming of the Arabian Sea.
- Due to excess warming, there is significant amount of moisture available in the atmosphere.
- This moisture then gets transported by strong surges of westerly winds over to the Indian mainland during the monsoon, resulting in widespread and heavy rainfall over central India.
- Human activities in the post-industrialisation period have triggered an exponential rise in greenhouse gas emissions and pollutants.
- Frequency of events such as El Nino, the abnormal warming of central and east-central Pacific Ocean, are driving forces for the warming of Arabian Sea in recent decades
- The number of cyclones originating from the Arabian Sea has increased.