From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Meghalaya Residents Safety and Security Act (MRSSA)
Mains level : Citizenship issues in NE India
- In a bid to protect the interest of tribal citizens, the Meghalaya cabinet approved the amendment to an act that seeks mandatory registration of outsiders for entering the State.
Meghalaya Residents Safety and Security Act (MRSSA)
- The State cabinet approved the amended Meghalaya Residents, Safety and Security Act, 2016.
- Any person who is not a resident of Meghalaya and intend to stay more than 24 hours in the State will have to furnish document to the government.
- Employees of the Centre, State and District Councils are exempted from the purview of the Act.
- Any person, who willfully fails to furnish the information or provide false document will be liable to be punished under various sections of the IPC.
- The original act was passed as part of comprehensive mechanisms to check illegal immigration, instead of the Inner Line Permit (ILP).
Why such a move?
- There was an increasing demand to enhance vigil against influx of non-indigenous people in the hill state, following the implementation of the NRC in Assam.
- The updated final NRC, which validates bonafide Indian citizens of Assam, was released in August this year.