Mains Paper 2: Governance | Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the ruling
Mains level: Much awaited judgement. It will definitely have implications on many crucial matters.
- Nine-judge Constitution Bench of the SC has ruled that individual privacy is a fundamental right
- Imapct of the verdict: The ruling will impact daily lives of the people since
- It will have implications for matters ranging from collection and sharing of personal data in Aadhar cards to the cases of homosexuality(possibly)
- The SC has overruled its earlier verdicts which held that right to privacy was not protected by the Constitution
Other important points from the judgement
- The orders(majority) made it clear that this right could not be absolute and would be “subject to the restrictions specified”
- Also, the judges rejected the government’s contention that privacy was already protected by various statutes, and that there was no need to elevate it to a fundamental right status
What about Aadhar, now?
- The judgment was limited to the issue of right to privacy
- The matter whether Aadhaar violates the right to privacy will be dealt with by the five-judge bench hearing the petitions since 2015