Connecting the northeastern capitals by rail will produce enormous dividends.
- First broad-gauge locomotive has rolled into the capital of Tripura on a trial run,passenger services will commence in March, and travellers will be able to ride directly to Kolkata.
- Bus service already connects the two cities but the route cuts through Bangladesh. This excludes travellers without passports
- This is the first step in a long overdue project, deadlined for 2020, to connect the capitals of all the northeastern states to the rest of India.
- By 2017, a line will be laid to Akhaura in Bangladesh, which will offer through connectivity all the way to Chittagong.
- Railway system has served India as a great unifier, binding together diverse cultures in a web of steel.
- This project will reduce the psychological distances which seem to sequester the Northeast.