From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : RISAT-2BR1
Mains level : Uses and applications of RISAT-2BR1
ISRO’s rocket PSLV-C48 blasted off from the spaceport carrying India’s radar imaging earth observation satellite RISAT-2BR1 and nine foreign satellites.
This launch has marked a significant milestone for ISRO as it is the 50th flight of the PSLV and also the 75th vehicle mission from Sriharikota.
- RISAT-2BR1 is an Indian radar reconnaissance satellite that is part of India’s RISAT programme and the fourth satellite in the series.
- The satellite has resolution of 0.35 meters by which two objects separated by distance of 0.35 metres can be distinctly identified.
- The mission duration is planned to be 5 years.
- It is meant for applications in various fields like agriculture, forestry and disaster management support.
- The other 9 satellites are being launched under a commercial arrangement with the NewSpace India Ltd.