From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Not Much
Mains level : Role of mountain streams in carbon cycle
- The role of mountain streams in carbon cycle was recently assessed by some researchers.
- It was found that Mountain streams emit a surprising amount of carbon dioxide
- Mountains cover 25 per cent of the Earth’s surface, and the streams draining these mountains account for more than a third of the global runoff.
- Researchers have found that mountain streams have a higher average carbon dioxide emission rate per square metre than streams at lower altitudes.
- This is due in part to the additional turbulence caused as water flows down slopes.
Significance in carbon cycle
- Researchers found that mountain streams have a higher average CO2 emission rate per square meter than streams at lower altitudes.
- So even though these streams make up just 5% of the global surface area of the fluvial networks, they likely account for 10% to 30% of CO2 emissions from these networks.