- Russia said it would press on with a bombing campaign in Syria, ignoring US threats
- Moscow is backing up a ferocious assault by the forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to seize the rebel-held eastern part of Aleppo, which has sparked accusations over possible war crimes
- US has threatened to pull the plug on any more talks with Russia if it does not halt the attack on Aleppo as acrimony seethes between the two powers after the collapse of a truce deal
- Russia blamed the surge in violence on Washington’s failure to control rebel groups fighting in Aleppo and insisted that Syrian forces were battling terrorists
- United Nations: Has pleaded for medical evacuations from the war-ravaged city of Aleppo
- Aleppo has now descended into a ‘merciless abyss of humanitarian catastrophe unlike any we have witnessed in Syria’
Discuss: Remember the truce deal was signed between US & Russia?