From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Avangard and other ICBMs
Mains level : Not Much
- Russia’s military deployed a new intercontinental weapon, the Avangard hypersonic missile system that can fly 27 times the speed of sound.
- This will be the Russian military’s first Avangard hypersonic intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
- This feat is highly significant and comparable to the 1957 Soviet launch of the first satellite.
Avangard Hypersonic Missile
- Previously referred to as Project 4202, the Avangard hypersonic missile system is a reentry body carried atop an existing ballistic missile, which has the capability to manoeuvre.
- The missiles have a range of over 6,000 km, weigh approximately 2,000 kg and can withstand temperatures of over 2000 degree celsius.
- It’s manoeuvring capability makes it difficult to predict its trajectory and gives it the ability to protect itself from the air and ballistic missile defences by delivering nuclear warheads to targets, for instance, in Europe and the US.