Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the Rythu Bima scheme
Mains level: The newscard discusses the Rythu Bima scheme which is gaining wide acknowledgement and puts Centre to think over such framework at pan India level.
Rythu Bima Scheme
- Rythu Bima group life insurance scheme is introduced by the Telangana government for all the landholding (pattadar) farmers in the age group of 18-59 years from August 14.
- It is proving to be an instant aid to their families in case of death of the enrolled farmer, irrespective of the cause either natural or otherwise.
- The death of farmers with any reason is compensated within a maximum time of seven days by NEFT transaction by crediting the amount of ₹5 lakh each to the nominees.
- The settlement of claims has proved to be the fastest under any life insurance schemes available in the country.
- Settlement of 52 claims out of deaths of 78 beneficiary farmers in the first five days of implementation of the scheme is an ample proof of fastest life insurance claims settlement in the country.
Seamless Operational Framework
- State government departments have been provided with tablet PCs for this.
- Agriculture Department officials have been putting the devices to optimal use beginning with collection of details of lands under cultivation by Agriculture Extension Officers early in 2017.
- Later, the devices were used during purification of land records and now for Rythu Bima.
- Manual work in the settlement of Rythu Bima claims is limited only at village and mandal-level.
- The AEO concerned collects the copies of Aadhaar of deceased farmer and the nominee, bank account passbook copy of the nominee, filled-in claim form and death certificate.
- These documents are attested by Mandal Agriculture Officer (MAO) at mandal-level.
- It’s everything online from the next step onwards — till crediting of claim amount to the nominee account.
Uses NIC developed software
- The NIC has developed special software for the purpose of forwarding the claims received from District Agriculture Offices (DAOs) to the LIC without human intervention every day at 5 p.m.
- The software creates a text file of all claims received till 4 p.m. every day and forwards them to LIC’s E-Sat office in Hyderabad along with scanned documents in PDF format for further processing.
- Rythu Bandhu and Rythu Bima have improved the image of Agriculture Department and its officials in villages enormously and the recognition would help in maintaining good liaison with farmers.
- Besides, the act of helping somebody get instant help gives immense satisfaction to the field-level work by the officials.
- A scheme with such an operational framework can be a remedy to the distressed farmers at pan-India level.