Mains Paper 2: Governance | Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these scheme
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Sakhi OSCs
Mains level: Women Safety Issues
- More than 1,90,000 victims across the country have accessed the OSCs, sponsored by the Centre under the Nirbhaya fund .
Sakhi One Stop Centre
- Ministry of WCD has formulated a Centrally Sponsored Scheme for setting up One Stop Centre, a sub – scheme of Umbrella Scheme for National Mission for Empowerment of women including Indira Gandhi Mattritav Sahyaog Yojana.
- It is a scheme sponsored under the Nirbhaya fund set up for safety of women after the gang rape of a paramedical student in December 2012 in New Delhi.
- It being established across the country to provide integrated support and assistance under one roof to women affected by violence, both in private and public spaces in phased manner.
- The scheme envisages an OSC for medical, legal, psychological and police help for victims of gender-based abuse such as sexual assault or domestic violence.
- So far, 234 OSCs have been set up and 485 more are in the pipeline to cover all 719 districts in the country.
- According to government data shared before Parliament, more than 1,90,000 women across the country have accessed these centres.
Functioning of the OSCs
- When a victim of domestic violence comes here, she is asked what relief she wants.
- If she wants a compromise, the husband is called and both of them are counselled.
- After this, she is asked to sign on an agreement letter and is sent back to her home and a follow-up is conducted.
- If a rape victim comes to the centre , it is first ascertained whether she is speaking the truth.
- First the centre in-charge speaks to her and then a counsellor cross-examines her.
Ending up with a Compromise
- According to National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB) data for 2015, Ajmer ranked third among all districts in Rajasthan in terms of crimes against women and recorded 1,303 cases.
- Of these 792 or 60% of crimes pertained to cruelty by husband or his family.
- Between October 2017 and December 2018, the centre has seen a total of 472 cases.
- Nearly 84% of these are cases of domestic violence and “compromise” is considered the most important way of resolving matters between spouses.
- A register on follow-up of cases records one-line remarks and the most common among them is, “everything is fine”.