From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Sarvatra Kavach, Bhabha Kavach
Mains level : Modernisation of the Indian Army
An Indian Army Major has been awarded Design Bureau Excellence Award by the Army Chief for indigenously developing Sarvatra bulletproof jacket.
- Sarvatra Kavach is a bulletproof jacket that can provide protection against various ammunition including that of sniper rifles.
- It provides protection from neck to ankle and upper arms.
- The project was sanctioned in June 2017 and initially the design and development of a Level IIIA soft body armour suit was sanctioned and was subsequently revised to include a Level IV hard armour panel inserts.
- The armed forces had also placed a request for two lakh ‘Bhabha Kavach bullet-proof jackets’ with Ordnance Factory Board during August.
- Bhabha Kavach is the lightest bulletproof jacket used by the Indian army.
- The jacket has been named Bhabha Kavach as the nano-based technology was taken from the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre.