From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Ice Age
Mains level : Read the attached story
Seawater from Ice Age
- Scientists have discovered the remnants of seawater dating back to the Ice Age, tucked inside rock formations in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
- Researchers from the University of Chicago in the U.S. made the discovery during a months-long scientific mission exploring the limestone deposits that form the Maldives.
- The ship, the JOIDES Resolution, is specifically built for ocean science and is equipped with a drill that can extract cores of rock over a mile long from up to three miles beneath the seafloor.
- The water in actual specimen was found to be 20,000-year-old as it was much saltier than normal seawater.
Importance of the study
- Scientists are interested in reconstructing the last Ice Age because the patterns that drove its circulation, climate and weather were very different.
- Understanding these patterns could shed light on how the planet’s climate will react in the future.