Representatives of 6 SAARC countries discussed the establishment of a regional seed bank.
- It will ensure food security and address the shortages caused by natural calamities.
- The meeting underlined the relevance of the seed bank in achieving collective self reliance in food crop production.
- Production and distribution of quality seeds constitute key elements in an effort to step up the production and productivity of crops.
- The seed bank is expected to provide a ready stock of common varieties to meet emergency situations caused by natural calamities.
- They also called for steps to conserve genetic varieties of seeds and facilitate the exchange of seeds and planting materials between SAARC nations.