Mains Paper 3: Economy | Development & Employment
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: ‘One Family One Job’ scheme
Mains level: Ensuring employment in NE states
- Sikkim has recently launched the ‘One Family One Job’ scheme which entitles one government job for every family in the state.
‘One Family One Job’ Scheme
- The scheme envisions employment to a member of every family which does not have a government job in the state.
- Under this scheme, all loan debts in the farming and agriculture sector would be revoked.
- At present recruitments are being made for Group C and Group D posts in 12 government departments.
- The letters were awarded only to members of those families which do not have a government job at present.
- The task of providing employment was entrusted to the Department of Personnel.
- Over 25,000 already employed but unregularised government employees would also be subsequently regularized within 2019 according to their seniority.
What makes it special?
- Sikkim has become the first state in the country to carry out such an exclusive programme for the people who would now be entitled to state government employee benifits.
- Sikkim was the only state that earmarks 70 per cent of its revenues towards salaries for state government employees.
- As of now, the state government has over 1 lakh regularised employees on its rolls from a population of just 6.4 lakh.
- Sikkim is also the only state in the country that gives the highest salaries to state government employees.