Mains Paper 3: Agriculture | Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Sikkim Organic Mission
Mains level: Significance of the international recognition in promotion of organic farming practice at pan-India level.
- Sikkim has won the UN Food and Agriculture Organization’s (FAO) Future Policy Gold Award for its achievement in becoming the world’s first totally organic agriculture state.
Aim of the Award
- The Future Policy Award celebrates policies that create better living conditions for current and future generations.
- The aim of the award is to raise global awareness for these exemplary policies and speed up policy action towards just, sustainable and peaceful societies.
- The Future Policy Award is the first award that celebrates policies rather than people on an international level.
Sikkim bags 2018 Award
- Nicknamed the “Oscar for best policies”, the award is co-organised with the FAO by The World Future Council (WFC) and IFOAM – Organics International.
- The award recognizes the world’s best laws and policies promoting agroecology.
- Sikkim beat out 51 other nominees from around the world for the award.
- Brazil, Denmark, Quito and Ecuador shared the Silver award.
- Sikkim is the first organic state in the world and all of its farmland is certified organic, reads the award announcement.
- The state has totally banned the sale and use of chemical pesticides.
About Sikkim Organic Mission
- Starting with a political commitment to support organic farming in 2003, Sikkim designed in 2010 the Sikkim Organic Mission.
- It is a road map that clearly detailed all the measures necessary to achieve the target of becoming a fully organic state by 2015.
- At the time, officials reasoned that per hectare consumption of fertilizers in Sikkim was already among the lowest in the country (at 5.8 kg per hectare).
- Farmers had also traditionally never used chemicals in the cultivation of cardamom, one of Sikkim’s main cash crops.
- From 2003, the state began reducing the subsidy on chemical pesticides and fertilizers by 10 per cent every year and banned them completely in 2014.
- Their sale and use was made punishable by law with an imprisonment of up to three months or a fine of up to Rs 1 lakh or both.
Roadmap of Sikkim’s transition to 100% organic state:
World Future Council
- The World Future Council (WFC) is an independent body formally founded in Hamburg, Germany on 10 May 2007.
- Formed to speak on behalf of policy solutions that serve the interests of future generations, it includes members active in governmental bodies, civil society, business, science and the arts.
- The WFC’s primary focus has been climate security, promoting laws such as the renewable energy Feed-in tariff.
- The WFC has special consultative status with the UN Economic and Social Council (UN-ECOSOC).