Mains Paper 2: Polity | Salient features of the Representation of People’s Act.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Structure of the Election commission, Representation of People’s Act, etc.
Mains level: Simultaneous elections are directly related to the Representation of People’s Act, which is specially mentioned in the syllabus. Also, it is a much debated topic in politics.
Elections Commission on simultaneous elections
- Election Commission is favoring simultaneous elections
- But it said, all political parties need to be brought on board before such an exercise was carried out
Why is EC favoring this?
- Simultaneous elections will give enough time to the incumbent government to formulate policies and implement programmes continuously for a longer time
- It will also decrease the interruptions caused by the imposition of the model code of conduct
How can it be possible?
- The step would be possible only when necessary changes were carried out in the Constitution and the Representation of the People Act
- Existing legal and constitutional provisions mandate that elections are to be held within six months ahead of the end of the term of an Assembly or the Lok Sabha
For a comprehensive reading on the Representation of People’s act, Click here