International agency has proposed to help represent the small tea growers’ sector, which currently contributes about 70 per cent of the world tea crop.
- Efforts are also on to find ways to directly market small tea growers’ produce.
- Recent inter-session meeting of the Inter-governmental Group of FAO in Italy discussed the plan.
- Representatives from India, Sri Lanka, Kenya, China, Japan, Malawi, the U.S., U.K. and others present.
- Need for an international body for small tea growers was brought by quite a few tea-growing countries including India, Sri Lanka, Kenya and Indonesia.
- Price realisation, quality and cost of production were core issues affecting segment.
The contribution to segment of the tea industry is highest in Sri Lanka and Kenya.