Mains Paper 3: Agriculture | Food processing & related industries in India- scope & significance, location, upstream & downstream requirements, supply chain management
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: SMART Project
Mains level: Facilitating agri-business in India
- The state government launched an ambitious project – State of Maharashtra Agribusiness and Rural Transformation (SMART) – in 10,000 villages with an objective to achieve sustainable farming within the next three years.
- The SMART project is being undertaken will cover almost one-fourth of Maharashtra.
- The project SMART will be assisted by the World Bank.
- The focus is clearly on villages which are reeling under the worst agriculture crisis compounded by lack of infrastructure and assured value chains to channelize the farm produce.
- The objective of the project is to:
- create and support the value chains in post-harvest segments of agriculture,
- facilitate agribusiness investment,
- stimulate SMEs within the value chain,
- support resilient agriculture production systems,
- expand access to new and organised markets for producers and
- enhance private sector participation in the agribusiness.
A farmer friendly project
- This project unites agriculture-oriented corporates and farmers by providing them a common platform.
- Through this meaningful partnership change will emerge across rural as well as livelihood of farmers across the state.