From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : National Monuments Authority, Purana Qila, Khair-ul-Manazil
Mains level : NMA and its mandate
- The heritage by-laws, drafted in accordance with the provisions of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains (Amendment and Validation) Act, 2010, for Purana Qila and the Khair-ul-Manazil mosque, will be out in the public domain
NMA drafting rules
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) can only carry out repairs in the 100 metre-span from a protected area, which is called the prohibited area.
- The area starting from 100 metres from such a monument till 300 metres away from it is the “regulated area”, as per the Act.
- For the regulated areas, the NMA is drafting heritage by-laws for each monument or group of monuments that will determine the nature of new construction activity.
- The proposed by-laws will lay down restrictions on the height of new constructions, among other features.
- The by-laws would be aimed at ensuring new constructions are “in harmony” with the protected monuments.
- After these two monuments in Delhi, the NMA will be working towards finalising by-laws for several monuments in MP and UP, for which drafts have been received from regional officials.
National Monuments Authority (NMA)
- NMA under the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India has been setup as per provisions of The Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains AMASR (Amendment and Validation) Act, 2010 which was enacted in March, 2010.
- Several functions have been assigned to the NMA for the protection and preservation of monuments and sites through management of the prohibited and regulated area around the centrally protected monuments.
- One amongst these responsibilities of NMA is also to consider grant of permissions to applicants for construction related activity in the prohibited and regulated area.
- The NMA and the Competent Authorities (CA) were setup and now all applications for construction related work in the prohibited and regulated area are to be submitted to the CA and then to NMA for consideration of the application.
Functions of NMA
- Statutory provision for the ‘prohibited’ and regulated areas.
- Complete ban on construction (including public projects) in the prohibited area.
- Providing statutory procedures for applications seeking permission for construction/repair/renovation.
- The authority shall make necessary scrutiny of the Heritage bye laws and accord approval after inviting objections/suggestions from the public
- Grading and classification of monuments.