Mains Paper 2: India and neighborhood relations
The following things are important from UPSC perspective:
Prelims: Not much
Mains level: This article gives insights about the latest move of the government to devise standard operating procedures to facilitate movement across Indo Myanmar border.
- The government has decided to devise standard operating procedures (SOP) to facilitate movement of Indian and Myanmarese citizens residing within 16 km of the India-Myanmar border.
The Free Movement Regime
- The Home Ministry held consultations with Mizoram, Nagaland, Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh the states bordering Myanmar to discuss the Free Movement Regime (FMR).
- The FMR permits tribes residing along the border to travel 16 km across the boundary without visa restrictions.
- It was found that states follow different protocols for FMR.
- The Home Ministry considered this to be a security threat and have come up with common SOPs for all four states.
- It is a measure to upgrade security at the border amid the exodus of Rohingya Muslims from Myanmar following turmoil in Rakhine province of that country.
- According to government estimates, there are nearly 40,000 Rohingya Muslims spread across India.
- The Home Ministry is also having a parallel discussion with the Ministry of External Affairs and their counterparts in Myanmar to allow Indian nationals living near the border to visit Myanmar for up to 72 hours.
- While India allows Myanmarese nationals to stay 72 hours without visa, Myanmar allows stay of only 24 hours.