From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Polypedates bengalensis
Mains level : NA
- Researchers have recorded a new species of tree frog in West Bengal.
- The new species has been named Brown Blotched Bengal Tree Frog (Polypedates bengalensis).
- The name is derived from a series of six to nine dark brown blotches that extend laterally from behind the frog’s eye to the vent.
- The frog’s body colour is yellowish-brown to greenish-brown.
- The frogs were seen perched on vegetation, including bamboo, banana and taro leaves, and were calling from a height of 1.2-1.8 m above ground, over stagnant waters bodies that were mostly rainwater pools.