From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : SRG
Mains level : X Ray Telescope
- A team of German-Russian scientists is all set to launch a space telescope, which will create a three-dimensional (3D) X-ray map of the universe and unveil unknown supermassive black holes, dark energy and stars.
Spectrum-Roentgen-Gamma (SRG) Telescope
- The telescope will be launched into space on a Russian-built Proton-M rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan in June 2019.
- The four-year mission will survey the entire sky eight times and track the evolution of the universe and dark energy, a mysterious repulsive force that is accelerating its expansion.
- Besides, it also aims to detect up to three million supermassive black holes — many of which are unknown — and X-rays from as many as 700,000 stars in the Milky Way.
- The telescope is the first to be sensitive to high-energy ‘hard’ X-rays and map the entire sky.
- The SRG will also find how dark matter — the main engine of galaxy formation — is spread in the universe.
- X-ray sky surveys have also been conducted by previous missions, but they were not able to map the entire sky, the report said.
Two X-ray telescopes:
- A German-built eROSITA (Extended Roentgen Survey with an Imaging Telescope Array)
- A Russian-built ART-XC (Astronomical Roentgen Telescope — X-ray Concentrator)