- The legislation envisages the dilution of many powers of Executive Presidency, which had been in force since 1978.
- The 225-strong Parliament cleared the Bill with 212 members voting in favour of the legislation. 10 were absent – 1 voted against – 1 abstained.
- Among the important features of the Bill:
- The reduction in the terms of President & Parliament from 6 years to 5 years
- Re-introduction of a 2-term limit that a person can have as President
- The power of President to dissolve Parliament only after 4 1/2 years [unlike one year, as prevalent now]
- The revival of Constitutional Council & the establishment of independent commissions.
Posted on | The Hindu